If you own an iPhone that is no longer tied to a contract with AT&T, you can legally unlock your device for use on other networks (stateside or internationally) with a little help from AT&T. The process is dead simple.
First you’re going to need to make sure you have:
- An out-of-contract iPhone
- AT&T login credentials
- The iPhone IMEI number (Tap Settings > General > About)
- Your email address
If you meet these requirements move on to Part 1.
Part 1: Request and Reset
- Fill out the request form through AT&T.
- Depending on the number of requests AT&T will send you an email with the rest of the info in +/- 5 days.
- While you wait you might as well reset your iPhone. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.